Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Crossroad Demons : Do you believe in the Devil?

First, I want to explain about the whole Crossroad Demon's deal.
It is well known that if you go to a crossroad, and summoning a demon there, one demon will appear and offering you to make a deal. He will grant one of your wishes in exchange for your soul, which will be drag to Hell by his hellhound after a few years (some say after 10 years).

Becoming a 'Supernatural TV Series' fan has opened my mind wider. After re-running for the third time, I realized in Season 2 episode 8, "Crossroad Blues", they mentioned Robert Johnson (click for detail), the best blues man ever lived that supposedly made a deal with the Demon to become one.
 

So, I googled him.
And voila, I found this:

According to legend, as a young man living on a plantation in rural Mississippi, Robert Johnson was branded with a burning desire to become a great blues musician. He was "instructed" to take his guitar to a crossroad near Dockery Plantation at midnight. There he was met by a large black man (the Devil) who took the guitar and tuned it. The "Devil" played a few songs and then returned the guitar to Johnson, giving him mastery of the instrument. This was in effect, a deal with the Devil mirroring the legend of Faust. In exchange for his soul, Robert Johnson was able to create the blues for which he became famous.
So I thought, 'Huh, what a rumor'. But then again, I found other interesting facts.
1. " Around 1929 (Johnson was 18), the noted blues musician Son House moved to Robinsonville where his musical partner lived. Late in life, House remembered Johnson as a 'little boy' who was a competent harmonica player but an embarrassingly bad guitarist.
2. Johnson left Robinsonville for the area around Martinsville, close to his birthplace Hazlehurst. Here he perfected the guitar style of Son House and learned other styles from Isaiah "Ike" Zimmerman. Ike Zimmerman was rumoured to have learned supernaturally to play guitar by visiting graveyards at midnight.
When Johnson next appeared in Robinsonville, he had seemed to have acquired a miraculous guitar technique.
 So it kept me thinking, how in the world, a recently bad guitar player turned to an amazing one in a short time? I mean, no matter how hard you learn to play guitar, without natural talent, it needs years to turn you to a great guitar player, right?

Again, i dug and dug. Apparently, I missed one important part about Johnson's death. He died at the age 27.

I remembered clearly how legends like Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Brian Jones (Rolling Stones), etc. all died at the age of 27. And how most of them became legends after they died. What's the mystery of age 27?

And what bugs me most is how most of their deaths are such mysteries. Johnson died of strychnine poisoning, after 3 days suffering. But in his biography, Tom Graves states that strychnine has such a distinctive odor and taste that it cannot be disguised, even in strong liquor. He also claims that a significant amount of strychnine would have to be consumed in one sitting to be fatal, and that death from the poison would occur within hours, not days. So? His death is still a mystery.

And for all the other legends, there are mysteries behind their death as well. Like Cobain, who in the world 100% sure he killed himself? Lots and lots of presumption of how he was killed by Courtney Love or anyone else.


And above it all, all those legends who died ad the age 27 has been well-known as the members of 27 Club. Not made by them, but made for them, who died at a very young age.
So I thought, could this whole Demon's deal thing be real? I mean, they all had amazing talents, but died on their way of becoming a legend. And most of them became legends after they died..
Oh well, if we believe in God and Angels, shouldn't we believe in the Devil too?


Don't mean to brainwashing anybody here, just trying to share some interesting almost-facts and share what's on my mind. Hopefully entertaining !



 Bonus: 

Hellhound on my trail by Robert Johnson
I got to keep moving, I got to keep moving
Blues falling down like hail, blues falling down like hail
Mmm, blues falling down like hail, blues falling down like hail
And the day keeps on remindin' me, there's a hellhound on my trail
Hellhound on my trail, hellhound on my trail

If today was Christmas eve, if today was Christmas eve
And tomorrow was Christmas day
If today was Christmas eve and tomorrow was Christmas day
All I would need is my little sweet rider
Just to pass the time away, to pass the time away

You sprinkled hot foot powder, mmm, around my door
All around my door
You sprinkled hot foot powder, all around your daddy's door
It keeps me with ramblin' mind rider
Every old place I go, every old place I go

I can tell the wind is risin', the leaves tremblin' on the tree
Tremblin' on the tree
I can tell the wind is risin', leaves tremblin' on the tree
All I need is my little sweet woman
And to keep my company, hey, hey, hey, hey, my company

No comments:

Post a Comment